14.3.13

Mars Society Convention Poster

If you follow my blog, you know that when business is slow, I seek out contests and competitions to create imagery for, and you know that I love just about anything to do with space.  Last year, I submitted a painting to The Mars Society Conference's poster competition.  It looked something like this:


Seeing the one that they chose last year, I decided to make this year's a little more graphic.  The theme of this years conference is "Finding Life on Mars & Bringing Life to Mars."  Inspired by Curiosity photos of Martian sunsets, and the sense of vast open spaces that those photos create, I began my thinking in very large shapes.  I considered how small the human form would look in such a huge space, and came up with a few sketches.

Humans won the fight of "should those be tiny buildings or skyscrapers, or humans on the horizon?"  And the final image was completed with a mixture of watercolor washes and Photoshop shapes and text.



From the beginning, I could not get that phrase out of my head.
Life on Mars
Live on Mars

No comments:

Follow