1.9.12

Urban Scrawl, Columbus OH

Last week, I got to participate in a local art festival called Urban Scrawl.  In its sixth year, there were great food trucks, bands, breakdancers, and a ton of artists.  We were each given a four foot by eight food board to paint on. (check out an article in the Columbus Dispatch)
I decided that I wanted to do something that had to do with Ohio, and given my love of tall tales, I chose Johnny Appleseed as my subject.  I took a sketch i had done at SCAD as part of a series of stamps and modified it to fit the board.


I hadn't painted on such a big surface before.  I ended up using custom home paints for the majority of the piece.  It was about 90 degrees out for the festival, and there was no shade where I was stationed.  Despite the heat, we had a lot of fun. Nicki helped out with some of the painting, and I added some last minute deer and squirrels.  Check out the photos of my progress:








No comments:

Follow